Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

Studio Time and What's REALLY Important


Want to make me mad with your being trite?
Tell me, “I have given myself permission to paint”.

Permission?? With REAL passion one doesn’t need permission. One grabs every opportunity and paints.

The point I am making is that if you REALLY want to do anything…you will. It’s what gets done that was important to you at the moment…really. And that’s fine and good.

However don’t whine about not doing other things. Learn to move those desired things up to the top to where you can get them accomplished.

In examining New Years resolutions I tried “somethings” new this year:

First, I thought about the idea of resolutions or changes back in the summer of 2007 and then I started to fine hone them over the year.

Second, I wrote them into a set of goals. There is a fine balancing act with goals. One needs to make them attainable without setting the bar too low. Also, once you set a goal (and it is MOST important to write them down and acknowledge them daily) you MUST let go of the outcome.

If one focus’ on the goal too much then the nerves of failure can easily become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Most importantly to me is that I needed to make the goals a gradual thing over the weeks. I didn’t just wake up on the 2nd of January and say: TAH DAH!!!

I put those goals down in increments that would help me incorporate them into a daily/weekly/monthly routine.

So far so good…….dang that feels good to say three weeks into the year.

Getting into the studio should be something that happens everyday that you plan. And I have just found out that it doesn’t need to be an 8 hour day to make a difference.

I have planned to paint 3 hours a day on 5 days a week. That still gives me time to do the marketing and also research reference materials for images…..it’s all about the business of art.

If you don’t treat your art as a professional why would anyone else treat your art any differently?

Eugene Delacroix:We work not only to produce but to give value to time.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]